The Environmental Protection Agency considers ground source heat pumps (GSHPs), the most energy-efficient and environmentally friendly heating and cooling system available today.
Designing GSHP systems will keep you competitive in a market forced to deal with rising energy costs and resource depletion by offering customers a low-maintenance, economical and green alternative for their space conditioning needs. Federal and state tax incentives for GSHPs are providing additional demand and popularity for the systems, creating even more opportunities.
As an architect or engineer, you have specific questions about GSHP systems you want answered. IGSHPA has designed a program to offer advanced training towards certification as a Certified GeoExchange Designer (CGD). From an introduction to the technology to a complete review of the design process, participants learn the specific information they need to know to be a successful GeoExchange Designer.
You now have two options available for the CGD course – our distance learning option and our new CGD Plus course. The distance learning option gives you the convenience of learning when you have the time; while the CGD Plus course provides three days of concentrated learning under the guidance of an experienced GSHP Professional.
This design course is created for professional engineers, registered architects, installers, and contractors. This course is essential for individuals wanting advanced training and experience in designing GSHPs, and required for experienced individuals who wish to earn certification.
- Ground Source Heat Pump Design – Residential & Commercial
- Closed Loop, Ground Heat Exchanger, Configurations & Layout
- Soil/Rock Classification and Conductivity
- Borehole Grouting
- Ground Loop Heat Exchanger Software
- Ground Source Heat Pump in System Performance
- DVD of course video materials
- Residential and Light Commercial Design and Installation Manual
- CLGS Installation Guide
- Slinky™ Installation Guide
- Current edition of the Design and Installation Standards
- Soil and Rock Classification Field Manual
- Grouting for Vertical Heat Pump Systems
- ASHRAE manuals
Certification is accomplished by application to AEE. To become certified the candidate must:
- Determine eligibility based on the Eligibility Requirements listed.
- Register for and attend the IGSHPA CGD course.
- Pass the IGSHPA CGD exam.
- Complete a separate application to AEE, initiating the testing and certification process.
- Certification will be awarded by AEE after their evaluation of the candidate’s qualifications by CGD board members.
Attending the CGD Workshop and passing the CGD exam are only a part of the certification process and will not automatically lead to certification.
Each candidate for certification must meet one of the following four sets of criteria:
Contact AEE at 1-770-447-5083, ext. 223 for certification information.
Education Work Experience A four-year engineering degree OR Professional Engineer (PE) or Registered Architect (RA) AND At least 3 years of experience in commercial geothermal heat pump design and heating, ventilating and air conditioning field A four-year non-technical degree AND At least 5 years of experience in commercial geothermal heat pump design and heating, ventilating and air conditioning field A two-year technical degree AND At least 8 years of experience in commercial geothermal heat pump design and heating, ventilating and air conditioning field NONE AND At least 10 years of experience in commercial geothermal heat pump design and heating, ventilating and air conditioning